A Patient's Guide to diet and Heart Surgery - Diet and Nutrition
Foods High in Sodium (Na+) Content
- Breads & Cereals
- Bread and rolls with salt toppings, corn chips, popcorn,potato chips, salted pretzels, salted popcorn, and other salted snack foods.
- Bacon fat, salt pork, olives, salted nuts, party spreads and dips.
- Soups (packaged soups)
- Canned broth soups, commercially prepared stews, bouillon cubes, and instant or dried soups.
- Be careful of monosodium glutamate (MSG) used in Chinese food. When you order Chinese food, you can request that it be prepared without MSG.
- Biscuits (salty) and baked goods like cakes, pastries, bagels and Doughnuts etc.
- Pickles, papads, Chutneys and ketchups
- Samosa, kachori, pakoras, patties.
- Cold cuts Non veg like Salami, chicken pop corns, chicken breast.
- Burgers, pancakes, sandwiches
- Bread spreads like Mayonnaise, butter, processed cheese
- Hot chocolate
- Meat and Other Protein Foods
- Ham, bacon, meats, frankfurters, sausages, , pepperoni, dried beef, corned beef, canned meats, , canned fish, sardines, herring, anchovies, smoked salmon, cheese, regular peanut butter, and frozen dinners.
- Sauerkraut or other vegetables prepared in brine, olives, pickles, relish, vegetables packed with sauces or seasonings, salted mixed vegetable juice , regular tomato juice, regular spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce or tomato paste, frozen peas, and lima beans.
Patients on anticoagulation (Coumadin) need to be careful