- Exercise (VO2) test: Shows the amount of oxygen your heart and lungs can provide to your muscles
- Right Heart Catheterization: Measures pressures in your heart
- Left Heart Catheterization: Uses a dye to look at your coronary arteries
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Laboratory tests: Determine blood type, other organ function and exposure to certain diseases
- Chest X-ray
- Pulmonary function test: Determines lung function if you are/were a smoker
- Carotid and peripheral ultrasounds: Looks for blockages in certain blood vessels
- Dental exam: To evaluate your oral health
- Eye exam
- Psychosocial evaluation
- Financial clearance: This includes covering the cost of the surgery as well as testing and medications. Our clinical Heartfailure and Transplant/LVAD co-ordinator will work with you and the hospital administration to resolve issues related to these.
Your doctors may decide if other studies are needed to ensure you are a good candidate for heart transplant.
A specialized LVAD/transplant social worker will perform a detailed psychosocial evaluation of your candidacy as a LVAD recipient.
Some of the things that will be assessed:
- Your understanding of the LVAD process
- Availability of caregivers before and after implant
- Coping and stress management barriers/challenges
- Your compliance with previous medical regimen
- Mental health history
- Substance use history
Once all testing and psychosocial evaluation is complete the entire LVAD team comprised of surgeons, cardiologists, nurses, social workers, psychiatrists, financial counselors, and more meet to review your case.
The team carefully reviews all of the your information in order to determine if LVAD therapy is safe and appropriate for you.
Your cardiologist/ surgeon will inform you of the committee's decision and of alternate therapies in the event that you are not deemed a LVAD candidate
Two Anatomical Fit Options
Core Design Features:
140 ° Inflow Cannula and 60mm Outflow
- Supports pediatric patients
and small BSA patients down
to 18kg and 0.7m2 BSA
115 ° Inflow Cannula and 90mm Outflow
- Designed for larger teens to
extra large adults
Pulsatility Transfer: Feel the Beat
Download reprint here