- You may not have a palpable pulse or blood pressure by conventional methods as the VAD pumps continuously.
- You must always wear your LVAD equipment.
- Plan ahead to ensure you will always have an adequate electrical supply
- Carry a bag with extra supplies with you at all times
- The LVAD exit site will require daily sterile dressing changes
- Static may interfere with your pump function
- Modified activity for sternal precautions for 6-8 weeks after surgery
- Anticoagulation will require you to be cautious with dietary restrictions imposed on you.
- No swimming, bath tubs or hot tubs
- No activities that you run the risk of submersing yourself in water.
- No jumping
- No contact sports
- No MRI
- No smoking or drinking
- Protect your driveline at all times
- Protect cables connected to your system controller
- Must always have a power source